Frequently Asked Questions
What is V.ALRT?
- V.ALRT is a small wearable alert device that uses Bluetooth 4.0 LE (aka Bluetooth Smart) technology, and works in association with a smartphone application. V.ALRT will allow you to alert others in case of a medical emergency, fall or risk to personal security.
- V.ALRT also helps you to:
- Stay safe: in case of an emergency, V.ALRT instructs the phone to send text messages and/or call your emergency contacts with one press of a button.
- Have peace of mind: V.ALRT has an integrated fall detection system that will send an emergency alert to your contacts even if you are unable to press the button.
- Transmit your location: V.ALRT uses your phone’s GPS to let family, friends or medical professionals find you.
- V.ALRT design and operation is highly innovative.
- Ergonomically designed with a recessed illuminated button and alert sound for a richer user experience.
- Waterproof protection.
- Long battery life.
What is required in my phone to use V.ALRT?
Your phone needs to support Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology.
- Bluetooth feature on your phone must be turned ON.
- Your V.ALRT must be paired and connected to your phone.
- V.ALRT App, either IOS or Android, must be installed and running in your phone.
- V.ALRT must be within range of your phone’s Bluetooth coverage.
- Location services in your phone must be activated for greater accuracy on your location information.
- Data connection is necessary for V.ALRT App to send the alert.
Are there any recurring payments for the use of V.ALRT?
No, this is one of the biggest advantage of V.ALRT as you don’t need to pay any monthly fee. You only need to install the App in your phone, set it up and follow the instructions for connectivity.
How does the emergency alert work?
V.ALRT comes with a built-in emergency button that is designed for easy access and activation.
To trigger the alert:
- Press and hold the emergency button for 2~3 seconds.
- Immediately release the button. The V.ALRT will beep twice and start blinking Red and Green to signal the alert has been initiated.
- At this moment the V.ALRT has sent a signal to the smartphone to send Text messages and/or make phone calls to the predefined contacts based on your setup.
- V.ALRT comes with a fall detection system that will activate the emergency cycle even if you are not able to press the button. If a fall is detected the V.ALRT App will start a 60 second countdown on your smartphone before sending alert messages, providing the user an opportunity to cancel the alert.
What is the battery life of the V.ALRT?
It lasts up to a year. V.ALRT uses a coin type battery (CR2032) that can be replaced by the user and does not require recharging. V.ALRT is designed to be used only in emergency situations and naturally, the more you use it, the shorter your battery life will be. If the connection between the V.ALRT and your smartphone is lost, the V.ALRT will continue to ping in an attempt to connect to your smartphone. This activity will drain faster your battery on the Device and the smartphone.
Where can I use the V.ALRT?
V.ALRT has been designed to give you protection anywhere you go. First it is a waterproof device that can be worn in the shower, and second it provides you the flexibility to use it wherever you go with your smartphone. Have peace of mind when you go shopping, to the park or walking away from your house.
What is the Bluetooth Pin for my V.ALRT?
The V.ALRT is designed to be paired within the V.ALRT app on your smartphone. The pin is negotiated between the button and the app and never shared. Please go into the V.ALRT app and pair your button with the “Manage Device” icon. Do not try to pair the button in your phone’s Bluetooth settings.
If your button is having trouble pairing, make sure it is turned on. Pressing the button for 10 seconds with turn it on. Pressing it for 45 seconds will return the button to default settings and power it off.
- On your phone, navigate to the Bluetooth menu.
- Make sure that the Bluetooth feature is ON.
- Launch your V.ALRT app in your phone, go to the Pairing screen in the App and select your V.ALRT when it appears in the “Devices” list (you will be instructed in the App to press the alert button for 10 seconds to be in discoverable mode). While in discoverable mode your V.ALRT will blink green every 10 seconds for 15 minutes.
- Your smartphone will then connect to the V.ALRT and the App will let you know when it is connected. Once connected, your device will beep once and stop blinking. If you want to confirm connection, select “Manage Devices” from within the App.
What are the main tips for V.ALRT to work properly?
Data service plan is required.
- V.ALRT application must be running at all times, please do not stop or cancel the application.
- Fall detection accuracy depends on different factors including the nature of the fall and the way the V.ALRT is held/worn.
- For best results keep V.ALRT in close proximity to the smartphone.
- Keep Location services and Bluetooth activated/ON.
- Alert audio will not be heard on smartphone if the ringer is on vibrate or silent.
- Contact’s mobile phone number is required for Text/SMS message options to function.
- After your Smartphone software or system is updated, you need to re-launch the V.ALRT phone application and perform a test to ensure proper operation.
How far can the V.ALRT be from my smartphone?
V.ALRT works with Bluetooth 4.0 technology that has a range of up to 75’ indoor or 300’ outdoors. This range may vary, depending on the power of your phone’s Bluetooth radio and the objects between your phone and the V.ALRT, as well as other environmental conditions.
How accurate is my location?
Location is based on the information your smartphone provides, therefore it is critical that you have Location Services activated. Accuracy is much better when your phone is in the outdoors and can capture signal form GPS satellites. Usually within 5 – 10 meters.
What location is sent to my contacts in the sms message?
The V.ALRT relies on your smartphone’s location services to determine your location. Note that this location information is an estimate only and the GPS location services does not work indoors.
How many emergency contacts can I have?
V.ALRT gives you the opportunity to select up to 3 contacts for text message or phone calls. Be aware that for the text message to function properly, you need to provide a cellphone number for your contact.
Can I use my V.ALRT in the rain or a shower?
Yes, V.ALRT is a waterproof device and can be worn in the weather or shower giving you extended protection.
How do I turn off the device?
Hold the button down for approximately 30 seconds
What kind of accessories are included with the V.ALRT?
V.ALRT comes with the following accessories:
Pendant holder (can be used also as a key chain holder)
Quick Start Guide
How many V.ALRT’s can I have connected to my smartphone?
You can have one V.ALRT connected to your phone at the same time.
Why do I need to provide my name and number in the personal information section?
V.ALRT sends text messages using data communication and your name and phone number are used to let your contacts know who the message is from.
How do I check my battery level?
Go to Home menu, click on Device Dashboard, and you will have the indication in the bottom right of your screen. Battery indicator shows three colors, Green, Yellow and Red. As soon as you get Red indication proceed to replace it.
How can I change the battery?
V.ALRT uses a very common type of battery (CR2032) and can be changed very easily. Watch this quick video to see how:
Why is my V.ALRT not connecting to my iPHONE after my upgrade to iOS 8?
VSN Mobil has discovered that a bug in the latest iOS upgrade may prevent your V.ALRT from working properly. Users who have upgraded their iPHONE to iOS 8.0.0 or higher have reported connection issues with their V.ALRT device. We have informed Apple of this bug in the new iOS release. In the meantime, please follow the following steps to work around this bug:
1. Bring your V.ALRT and iPhone close to each other;
2. Open the V.ALRT Application;
3. Go to Manage Device;
4. Look for your V.ALRT on the screen;
b. If your V.ALRT shows “Not Connected,” click on the minus (-) sign to remove;
c. Confirm to forget device;
5. Power Cycle the iPHONE;
6. Re-Open the V.ALRT Application;
7. Go to Manage Device and follow the steps on the display to reconnect your V.ALRT Device.
My V.ALRT will not stay connected and blinks non-stop
If the V.ALRT will not stay connected or continuously blinks, you may need to restart the V.ALRT device. You can do this by following the steps below.
- Power off the V.ALRT by pressing and holding the button for 30 seconds. Once you hear two beeps and two flashing red lights the device will be turned off. (Tip: Wait the full 30 seconds until you hear the two beeps before releasing)
- Open the V.ALRT application on the phone and go to device manager.
- Click on the minus sign to remove the device from the application.
- Restart the V.ALRT device by pressing and holding the button for ~10 seconds or until you hear a beep followed by a flashing green light.
- Once the device has been put in pairing mode you can select it in the application. (Tip: The app may take 10-20 seconds to complete the pairing process.)
Can I activate/deactivate the fall detection feature?
Yes, V.ALRT comes with fall detection disabled by default, but you can activate it by going to your App home menu.
Can V.ALRT be used while roaming?
Yes, you can use V.ALRT while you are roaming but your phone requires access to data communication.
Will my Tablet or iPad work with the V.ALRT?
How do you set up and use the V.ALRT on a tablet?
The V.ALRT can work together with a tablet that is connect to Wi-Fi as long as it is running either Android 4.3+ or iOS 7+. It must also support Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology.
Setting up the text/calling application
For this example we used TextFree by Pinger. Please note that VSN is not affiliated with Pinger or any other free text/calling applications.
Download and launch the application on the tablet. It with walk you through setting up a phone number (remember this number as you will need to enter it into the V.ALRT app) Once your number is created you will be able to make a contact list. Create a contact for the people you would like the V.ALRT to notify.
In the V.ALRT application
Download and launch the V.ALRT application. It will walk your through the set up process. One key point is when it asks you for your mobile number to use the one you created with the text/calling application previously.
You will then be asked for the contacts of people you want the application to notify. There will be a list that includes all the numbers you have created as a contact through the text/calling application. Select up to 3 then create the message you want it to send.
How do I add a contact with an international phone number?
When adding a contact to your V.ALRT make sure you use international dialing format that starts with a plus sign (+), this can be done by holding down the “0”, then write the country code, followed by the full phone number. Make sure to remove any leading 0′s or any special calling codes.
For example the United States number 123-4567 and area code 954 would be written as +19541234567 (1 is the country code).
Remember that some countries add some digits after the country code for mobile numbers. i.e. in Argentina, mobile numbers should have a 9 between the country code (+54) and area code. The final phone number will have 13 digits total: +54 9 xxx xxx xxxx. In Mexico, mobile numbers need to have a 1 after +52, even if they are Nextel numbers.
If I go for a walk outside, will there be signal?
By carrying your smartphone together with your V.ALRT, you will be able to send an alert anywhere you go as far as you are within cellular coverage. This product provides you with the peace of mind of having your personal life and mobility you desire.
Can I select the ringtone on my phone for when the alert goes off?
Yes, as part of the settings you can select any ring tone in your phone.
What does ‘silent mode’ mean in the app settings?
In some situations you want to avoid making a sound or illuminating your V.ALRT or phone when there is an emergency (i.e. when used for personal security). In those cases you can select in the App to maintain V.ALRT and/or Phone in stealth mode.